With Football season in full swing, I’m always looking for quick and easy snack ideas. For some reason, John and I can never have ‘normal’ dinners while the game is on.. we always need to add something a little a little more fun.
Here’s a fun and delicious recipe for mini quiche party poppers that’s so easy to make (literally, they took me around a half hour from start to finish). They’re also seriously flavorful because of their shining ingredients: bacon, cheddar cheese and zucchini!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 3 eggs
- Half a zucchini, chopped into small pieces
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 strips cooked and chopped bacon
- 1 tablespoon chopped shallots (omit this ingredient for pets)
- 2 leaves chopped scallion (omit this ingredient for pets)
For this recipe, I used colourful silicone mini muffin cups to bake the quiches. I like these because they’re the perfect tiny size and because the silicone is a great nonstick surface that doesn’t require coating a baking pan with oil or cooking spray. If you are using a traditional muffin tin, be sure to coat it well to prevent sticking.
Here’s what you’ll do:
- Preheat oven to 350˚F / 176˚C
- Place a small amount of shredded cheese in the bottom of each muffin cup as a base.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, beat the eggs until the colour is consistent.
- Add the zucchini, remainder of the cheese, 2/3 of the bacon, and the shallots (only add the shallots if you’re serving people, omit for pets!) into the egg and mix until evenly dispersed.
- Carefully spoon the mixture into the muffin cups. You don’t have to worry about the egg rising out.
- Top the mixture with a pinch of the remaining bacon. If serving people, also add a pinch of the chopped scallion to top off the mixture. Be sure to omit the scallion for pets!
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until the eggs look fluffy and no longer shiny. A dome shape should develop on the top when fully cooked.
Serve on a platter at your next party, or position the quiches on an elevated cake stand for a cuter look. I love this recipe because eggs are a great source of protein for us as well as our pets. Protein helps build muscle, strengthen hair, and rebuild tissue. The small amount of bacon in each quiche adds a big kick of flavour that your pet won’t be able to resist, making this a treat that you can feel good about sharing.
Please let me know in the comments if you’ve made any of the recipes I’ve posted here on Minnie in Manhattan. I’d love to hear what you think!